Friday, April 20, 2012

Polynoses

While some people may have heard the word polynose, I know some have not! My sisters and I grew up putting these on our noses with our Dad. When you open up one side of these seeds, they can stick to your nose and you have a green seed hanging off your face. It is a vibrant memory of mine and I was thrilled to see them just outside my door this week. They hang from my giant silver maple.

They are scientifically called a samara. This is a type of fruit in which a flattened wing of fibrous, papery tissue develops from the ovary wall. The shape of a samara enables the wind to carry the seed farther away than regular seeds from the parent tree:


A samara is sometimes called a key and is often referred to as a whirlybird, helicopter, whirligig, polynose, or, in the north of England, a spinning jenny. During the autumn months, they are a popular source of amusement for children who enjoy tossing them in the air and watching them spin to the ground.
uce a few multi-lobed samaras with 3 or 4 seeds. (Wikipedia)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home